Avenues in China
Program Start:Saturday, March 18, 2017
Program End:Friday, March 31, 2017
- Visit the Shanghai Bund and experience the new Shanghai skyline, one of the most breathtaking cityscapes in the world
- Engage in intercultural exchange with Chinese peers at high schools in Shanghai and Guilin
- Learn Chinese through small group intensive Mandarin classes at CLI
- Engage in daily interaction with a variety of Chinese peers and local community members
- Cruise down the famed Li River to Yangshuo for a day in the ancient fishing village
- Explore Daxu Village, which showcases a variety of Ming and Qing Dynasty architecture
Program DescriptionThe Avenues Spring 2017 China Seminar will commence in Shanghai, where students will discover China’s economic might by witnessing firsthand the city’s breathtaking urban landscape. After three days in China’s economic capital, students will travel to Guilin, a picturesque southern Chinese city famed for its pristine natural environment and storybook rivers and mountains.
- Throughout this experience, Avenues students will improve their Chinese language ability and deepen their understanding of China’s cultural heritage and modern ascension.
- Students will advance their language skills through small group Chinese classes at CLI, daily interaction with a range of Chinese peers and teachers, and constant immersion in the ideal language learning environment.
- Focus will also be placed on introducing students to Chinese culture through the intimate lens of a small Chinese city.
Pre-Departure To-Do ListPlease complete each of the following steps in preparation for your China Seminar. As always, feel free to contact CLI anytime by phone at 888-781-8383 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete CLI’s Student Information Form
Complete CLI’s Student Info Form by Thursday, November 17, 2016. Be sure to enter information exactly as it appears on your passport. Your program is titled “Avenues Spring 2017”.
- Secure your passport and visa
Thoroughly review your Chinese Visa Application Guide and submit all required application items to your faculty leader by Thursday, December 16, 2016.
- Complete CLI’s allergies and dietary restrictions form
Complete our medical allergies and dietary restrictions form upon reading this prompt. It’s important that we have access to information regarding any medical allergies you may have or other medical considerations we should be aware of. Please also use this opportunity to inform us of your dietary restrictions (if any).
- Explore CLI’s list of online learning resources
A great selection of free Mandarin learning resources is available online. Please take time to review and familiarize yourself with the resources overviewed on CLI’s Online Learning Resources page.
- Review CLI’s Pre-Departure Packet
In an effort to better prepare you for your time abroad, CLI has put together this detailed pre-departure packet. Be sure to review all information carefully and contact CLI at email@example.com with any additional questions you may have.
- Review important travel informationMake sure you have thoroughly reviewed health and safety information from both the CDC and the U.S. State Department well in advance of your departure to China. The State Department highlights that “China remains a very safe country” for most travelers. That said, when traveling to any foreign country, it is important that you familiarize yourself with relevant health and safety information.