Carlisle in Cuba 2017
Saturday, June 3, 2017
Saturday, June 17, 2017
- Listen to hypnotic chants that summon Santería deities at the Callejón de Hamel, Havana’s Afro-Cuban culture center
- Engage in volunteer work at a community center in one of Havana’s poorest neighborhoods
- Attend discussions with local experts that will introduce students to pressing social, economic and political issues that impact on the island’s development
- Tour the coffee plantation at Las Terrazas, a UNESCO biosphere reserve
- Explore Trinidad, a UNESCO World Heritage Site known for its pastel colored homes
- Relax at Ancon Beach and hike to the Salto del Caburni, a beautiful waterfall in Trinidad
- Board a train to the Valley of the Sugar Mills, the center of sugar production in the 18th century
- Relax at the stunning Caribbean paradise of Varadero
Primary Trip Segments
- Havana, Trinidad and Varadero, Cuba
15 days and 14 nights
- The focus of the Carlisle High School 2017 Cuba Seminar will be to introduce students into the complex reality of the Caribbean island nation of Cuba. Students will discover Havana and Trinidad in unique ways, through intellectually engaging activities that enrich the students’ understanding of important social, economic and political issues that have shaped the island’s recent history.
- Cuba’s ability to sustain itself has been ever more important due to its geographical and political isolation. Through this Cuba Seminar, students will understand how the U.S. policy of isolating Cuba for 53 years influenced the country’s economic, healthcare, and educational systems, as well as its urban and rural agricultural infrastructure.
Carlisle 2017 Cuba Seminar To-Do List
If you would like to enroll in this Cuba Seminar, please complete each of the following steps in preparation for your travels. Feel free to contact CLI anytime at 888-781-8383 or email our Director of Enrollment at firstname.lastname@example.org
if you have questions regarding the enrollment process.
- Complete CLI’s Student Information Form
Complete CLI’s Student Info Form
by Friday, March 31, 2017
. Be sure to enter information exactly as it appears on your passport. Your program is titled “Carlisle 2017 Cuba Seminar”. In the days and weeks after you submit this form, you will receive several important emails from CLI in preparation for your program. Please be on the lookout for these emails and stay up to date on CLI requests.
- Submit your 2017 Cuba Seminar deposit
In order to secure your space in this Cuba Seminar, please click the link below to submit your 500 USD non-refundable deposit by Friday, May 5th, 2017
. Please note that in order to submit your deposit, you must first complete CLI’s Student Information Form (step 1 above). Please use our secure and convenient online payment system (secured by Stripe
) to submit your Cuba Seminar deposit.
Submit Cuba Seminar Deposit
- Stay current on important travel information
Make sure you have thoroughly reviewed health and safety information from both the CDC
and the U.S. State Department
well in advance of your departure to Cuba. When traveling to any foreign country, it is important that you familiarize yourself with relevant health and safety information.
- Secure your passport
If you do not have a passport, please apply for one immediately. If you do have a passport, double check that its expiration date is at least six months after the end of your upcoming Cuba Seminar. If your passport’s expiration date is within six months of your Seminar end date, please renew your passport as soon as possible.
- Secure your visa (if applicable)
Educational activities fall into the 12 categories of authorized travel to Cuba. However, you are advised to review Cuba’s consular requirements available online
at least two months prior to your Seminar’s commencement date.
- Consider learning survival Spanish
A great selection of free Spanish learning resources is available online. Please take time to review and familiarize yourself with the resources available online
- Complete CLI’s Medical Allergies and Dietary Restrictions Form
Please complete our medical allergies and dietary restrictions form
upon reading this prompt. It’s important that your travel logistics providers have access to information regarding any medical allergies you may have or other medical considerations of which we should be aware. Please also use this opportunity to inform us of your dietary restrictions (if any).