- Engage daily with a variety of Chinese peers and local community members
- Cruise down the famed Li River to Yangshuo and experience 桂林山水甲天下 (Guìlín shānshuǐ jiǎ tiānxià) in full focus
- Attend Liu San Jie (印象刘三姐) river performance directed by Zhang Yimou, who also directed the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing.
- Bicycle along the Yulong River and immerse yourselves in rural village life
- Participate in a full-day service learning project that utilizes Design Thinking to identify local problems and ideate sustainable solutions for the community
- Rock climb some of Guilin’s famous karst mountains!
- Drift upstream on bamboo rafts to the village of Xingping
- Adventure through beautiful valleys, rice paddies, and orange groves on the way to 渔村 (Yúcūn) for a local family-style meal
Program Start:Monday, November 13, 2017
Program End:Saturday, November 18, 2017
Primary Trip Segments
The Discovery College No Boundaries2017 China Seminar will take place in Yangshuo, a picturesque southern Chinese town famed for its pristine natural environment and storybook rivers and mountains.
Faculty Leader:Peter Muir
Pre-Departure To-Do ListPlease complete each of the following steps in preparation for your China Seminar. As always, feel free to contact CLI anytime by phone at 888-781-8383 or by email at email@example.com.
- Complete CLI’s Student Information Form
Complete CLI’s Student Info Form by Monday, September 18, 2017. Be sure to enter information exactly as it appears on your passport. Your program is titled “Discovery College 2017”.
- Secure your passport and visa
Thoroughly review your Chinese Visa Application Guide and submit all required application items to your faculty leader by Monday, September 25, 2017.
- Complete CLI’s allergies and dietary restrictions form
Complete our medical allergies and dietary restrictions form upon reading this prompt. It’s important that we have access to information regarding any medical allergies you may have or other medical considerations we should be aware of. Please also use this opportunity to inform us of your dietary restrictions (if any).
- Explore CLI’s list of online learning resources
A great selection of free Mandarin learning resources is available online. Please take time to review and familiarize yourself with the resources overviewed on CLI’s Online Learning Resources page.
- Review CLI’s Pre-Departure Packet and the Hotel Information for your China Seminar
- Review important travel informationMake sure you have thoroughly reviewed health and safety information from both the CDC and the U.S. State Department well in advance of your departure to China. The State Department highlights that “China remains a very safe country” for most travelers. That said, when traveling to any foreign country, it is important that you familiarize yourself with relevant health and safety information.