2015 Indonesia IFE
Start Date and City:Saturday, May 23 at 5pm in Denpasar
End Date and City:Monday, June 1 around 8pm in Bali
Primary Trip Segments
- It typically takes two calendar days to travel to Bali from the United States. Participants should plan accordingly to arrive in Denpasar (DPS) on or before Saturday, May 23.
- We will spend considerable time in Ubud (pronounced “oobood”), one of Bali’s primary arts, cultural, and spiritual centers.
- We will also likely visit some coastal sites to explore marine conservation challenges in the region.
- We will wrap up our work in Bali on June 1. At that time, participants may return home or extend their adventures in Indonesia.
Faculty Lead:Dr. Marc Stern
Trip Duration:10 days and 10 nights (trip concludes after dinner in Bali; last hotel night in Bali is included in program fees)
The specific trip itinerary will be informed by the interests of the participants. Options include exploring the following:
- Innovative community-based land conservation efforts in the face of intense development pressure near the village of Ubud.
- Community-based marine conservation efforts in Nusa Penida and elsewhere.
- Social entrepreneurship strategies addressing Bali’s waste management problems.
- Education for sustainable development at the internationally famousGreen School.
- Different models of ecotourism for preserving Bali’s ecology and culture.
Indonesia IFE To-Do ListIf you would like to enroll in this Indonesia IFE, please complete each of the following steps in preparation for your travels. As CLI is an official CLiGS partner and helps manage the Center’s IFE enrollment and logistical needs, please feel free to contact CLI anytime at 888-781-8383 or email our Director of Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions regarding the enrollment process.
- Complete CLI’s Student Information Form
Please complete our Student Information Form within one week of reading this prompt. Be sure to enter information exactly as it appears on your passport. Please also be on the lookout for an email from the Virginia Tech Global Education Office requesting that you complete its required liability and financial agreement forms.
- Secure your space in the 2015 Indonesia IFE
In order to secure your space in this IFE, please click the below link to submit your 300 USD IFE deposit at least three months prior to the program start date. Please note that in order to submit your deposit, you must first complete CLI’s Student Information Form (see Step 1 above). Prior to submitting your deposit, please review CLiGS Program Dismissal/Cancellation Policy. By enrolling in any International Fieldwork Experience, you explicitly agree to these aforementioned terms. Please use our secure and convenient online payment system (secured by Stripe) to submit your IFE deposit.
- Purchase your international airfare and complete CLI’s Flight Form
After purchasing your international airfare, please share your flight information with CLI by completing this international flight form at least one month prior to program commencement.
- Secure your passport and visa
Indonesia offers Visa on Arrival (VoA) or visa-free entry to citizens of most countries, including VoA to U.S. passport holders. Please thoroughly review Indonesia’s visa policies at least two months prior to your IFE’s commencement date. If you do not have a passport, please apply for one immediately. If you do have a passport, double check that its expiration date is at least six months after the end of your upcoming IFE. If your passport’s expiration date is within six months of your IFE end date, please renew your passport as soon as possible.
- Complete CLiGS and CLI’s medical allergies and dietary restrictions form
Please complete our medical allergies and dietary restrictions form upon reading this prompt. It’s important that your travel logistics providers have access to information regarding any medical allergies you may have or other medical considerations of which we should be aware. Please also use this opportunity to inform us of your dietary restrictions (if any).
- Submit your remaining IFE balance
- Understand your VT-provided medical and travel insurance
Please carefully review this Virginia Tech Insurance PDF. CLiGS will purchase a travelers’ health insurance policy on your behalf from Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI). You will receive an email from CISI with your personal policy information. Be sure to save the information, bring it with you on the IFE, and leave a copy with your emergency contact. CISI also offers a mobile app that may come in handy during your travels.
- Consider learning survival Indonesian
A great selection of free Indonesian learning resources is available online. Please take time to review and familiarize yourself with the resources available online.
- Review important travel informationMake sure you have thoroughly reviewed health and safety information from both the CDC and the U.S. State Department well in advance of your departure to Indonesia. While Indonesia remains a very safe destination for most travelers, it is important that you familiarize yourself with relevant health and safety information before traveling to any foreign country.