2015 South Africa IFE
Start Date and City:Saturday, May 23 at 5pm in Cape Town
End Date and City:Monday, June 1 around 8pm in Cape Town
Primary Trip Segments
- Most routes from the U.S. to Cape Town take at least 24 hours. Participants should plan to arrive in Cape Town May 23 (CPT).
- We will spend time in Cape Town and environs, including the agriculture and wine-producing region of Stellenbosch and in Port Elizabeth, a short plane flight away. Nearby Port Elizabeth we will explore wildlife and sustainable tourism management in the Addo Elephant Park and an adjacent private game reserve.
- We will wrap up our work in Cape Town on June 1. At that time participants may return home or extend their adventures.
Faculty Lead:Professor Holly Wise
Trip Duration:10 days and 9 nights (trip concludes after dinner on June 1, most flights to U.S. have late-night departures)
The topics to be covered in the international field experience will include:
- The agriculture-water-industry nexus in southernmost Africa.
- Natural resource conservation and sustainable tourism strategies and approaches Industrial and municipal practices in water use efficiency
- Public-private partnerships and corporate social responsibility initiatives in agriculture and livelihood generation
- Urban informal settlements and land-use policy
South Africa IFE To-Do ListIf you would like to enroll in this South Africa IFE, please complete each of the following steps in preparation for your travels. As CLI is an official CLiGS partner and helps manage the Center’s IFE enrollment and logistical needs, please feel free to contact CLI anytime at 888-781-8383 or email our Director of Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions regarding the enrollment process.
- Complete CLI’s Student Information Form
Please complete our Student Information Form within one week of reading this prompt. Be sure to enter information exactly as it appears on your passport. Please also be on the lookout for an email from the Virginia Tech Global Education Office requesting that you complete its required liability and financial agreement forms.
- Secure your space in the 2015 South Africa IFE
In order to secure your space in this IFE, please click the below link to submit your 300 USD IFE deposit at least three months prior to the program start date. Please note that in order to submit your deposit, you must first complete CLI’s Student Information Form (see Step 1 above). Prior to submitting your deposit, please review CLiGS Program Dismissal/Cancellation Policy. By enrolling in any International Fieldwork Experience, you explicitly agree to these aforementioned terms. Please use our secure and convenient online payment system (secured by Stripe) to submit your IFE deposit.
- Purchase your international airfare and complete CLI’s Flight Form
After purchasing your international airfare, please share your flight information with CLI by completing this international flight form at least one month prior to program commencement.
- Secure your passport and visa
South Africa offers 90-day visa-free entry to citizens of many countries, including to U.S. passport holders. Please thoroughly review South Africa’s visa policies at least two months prior to your IFE’s commencement date. If you do not have a passport, please apply for one immediately. If you do have a passport, double check that its expiration date is at least six months after the end of your upcoming IFE. If your passport’s expiration date is within six months of your IFE end date, please renew your passport as soon as possible.
- Complete CLiGS and CLI’s medical allergies and dietary restrictions form
Please complete our medical allergies and dietary restrictions form upon reading this prompt. It’s important that your travel logistics providers have access to information regarding any medical allergies you may have or other medical considerations of which we should be aware. Please also use this opportunity to inform us of your dietary restrictions (if any).
- Submit your remaining IFE balance
- Understand your VT-provided medical and travel insurance
Please carefully review this Virginia Tech Insurance PDF. CLiGS will purchase a travelers’ health insurance policy on your behalf from Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI). You will receive an email from CISI with your personal policy information. Be sure to save the information, bring it with you on the IFE, and leave a copy with your emergency contact. CISI also offers a mobile app that may come in handy during your travels.
- Review important travel informationMake sure you have thoroughly reviewed health and safety information from both the CDC and the U.S. State Department well in advance of your departure to South Africa. While South Africa remains a very safe destination for most travelers, it is important that you familiarize yourself with relevant health and safety information before traveling to any foreign country.