VT RSAP in China
Program Start:Sunday, May 14, 2017
Program End:Friday, May 26, 2017
Primary Trip Segments
Beijing, China:Exploration of China’s cultural heritage and policy environment
Shanghai, China:Introduction to China’s modern ascension and economic reemergence
Faculty Leader:Dr. David Knight and Mr. Timothy Kinoshita
Program DescriptionThe Virginia Tech RSAP Summer 2017 China Seminar will consist of two main program portions:
- During the Beijing portion of your China Seminar, students will gain a deeper understanding of China’s cultural heritage through historically significant site visits, daily interaction with a range of Chinese peers, experts, and local stakeholders, and authentic immersion in China’s everyday living environment.
- During the Shanghai portion, students will be introduced to China’s modern ascension by visiting local and multinational firms, attending guest lectures with leading experts in their respective fields, and engaging in direct interaction with local peers.
Pre-Departure To-Do ListPlease complete each of the following steps in preparation for your China Seminar. As always, feel free to contact CLI anytime by phone at 888-781-8383 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete CLI’s Student Information Form
Complete CLI’s Student Info Form by Friday, December 2, 2016. Be sure to enter information exactly as it appears on your passport. Your program is titled “VT RSAP China Summer 2017”.
- Secure your passport and visa
Thoroughly review your Chinese Visa Application Guide and submit all required application items to your faculty leader by Thursday, March 23, 2017. All travelers are responsible for researching and complying with the appropriate visa requirements for the country/countries where their program is being held. Please note that Hong Kong and China require separate visas for some passport holders (not United States citizens).
- Complete CLI’s allergies and dietary restrictions form
Complete our medical allergies and dietary restrictions form upon reading this prompt. It’s important that we have access to information regarding any medical allergies you may have or other medical considerations we should be aware of. Please also use this opportunity to inform us of your dietary restrictions (if any).
- Explore CLI’s list of online learning resources
A great selection of free Mandarin learning resources is available online. Please take time to review and familiarize yourself with the resources overviewed on CLI’s Online Learning Resources page.
- Review CLI’s Pre-Departure Packet
In an effort to better prepare you for your time abroad, CLI has put together this detailed pre-departure packet. Be sure to review all information carefully and contact CLI at email@example.com with any additional questions you may have.
- Review important travel informationMake sure you have thoroughly reviewed health and safety information from both the CDC and the U.S. State Department well in advance of your departure to China. The State Department highlights that “China remains a very safe country” for most travelers. That said, when traveling to any foreign country, it is important that you familiarize yourself with relevant health and safety information.