Syracuse VPA Summer Seminar
Program Start:Friday, June 2, 2017
Program End:Monday, June 19, 2017
- Critique sessions with Chinese peers at the Beijing Film Academy
- Attend daily Mandarin language lessons
- Explore Tian’anmen Square and the Forbidden City in Beijing
- Visit the endless movie sets at the State Production Base of the China Film Group
- Stroll the Great Wall of China and relax at the Summer Palace
- Explore the Film Academy’s International Animation & Virtual Reality Research Center (iAVR)
- Discover EA’s upcoming sports games in its Beijing center
- Get an insider’s view of Beijing’s 798 Art District
- Talk with a 3D environment artist at Base FX
- Visit the ancient town of Yangliuqing, near the port city of Tianjin
- Play with virtual reality headsets at NYU’s Center in Shanghai
- Walk freely through the Shanghai Film Studio
- Tour the Bund and get a glimpse of Shanghai’s futuristic skyline
- Ascend the Shanghai World Financial Center
- Experience Shanghai’s world-famous acrobatic show
With this Summer Video Seminar, Syracuse University Visual and Performing Arts students will perfect their Mandarin while they gain invaluable insight into China’s cinematography evolution and its cutting-edge visual production industry.
Primary Trip Segments
Beijing:Introduction to China’s cutting-edge production house
Shanghai:Introduction to the birthplace of Chinese cinema
Faculty Leader:Rebecca Ruige Xu
Trip duration:17 days of study and travel
Pre-Departure To-Do ListPlease complete each of the following steps in preparation for your China Seminar. As always, feel free to contact CLI anytime by phone at 888-781-8383 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete CLI’s Student Information Form
Complete CLI’s Student Info Form by Friday, April 7, 2017. Be sure to enter information exactly as it appears on your passport. Your program is titled “Syracuse VPA Summer Video Seminar 2017”.
- Secure your passport and visa
Thoroughly review your Chinese Visa Application Guide and submit all required application items to your faculty leader by Friday, April 14, 2017.
- Complete CLI’s allergies and dietary restrictions form
Complete our medical allergies and dietary restrictions form upon reading this prompt. It’s important that we have access to information regarding any medical allergies you may have or other medical considerations we should be aware of. Please also use this opportunity to inform us of your dietary restrictions (if any).
- Review CLI’s Pre-Departure Packet
In an effort to better prepare you for your time abroad, CLI has put together this detailed pre-departure packet. Be sure to review all information carefully and contact CLI at email@example.com with any additional questions you may have.
- Review important travel informationMake sure you have thoroughly reviewed health and safety information from both the CDC and the U.S. State Department well in advance of your departure to China. The State Department highlights that “China remains a very safe country” for most travelers. That said, when traveling to any foreign country, it is important that you familiarize yourself with relevant health and safety information.