UWSP in China 2017
Program Start:Monday, May 22, 2017
Program End:Sunday, June 25, 2017
University of Wisconsin Stevens Point students will gain invaluable insight into China’s cultural heritage and modern ascension through a journey across Beijing, Guilin and Shanghai.
Primary Trip Segments
Beijing:Exploration of China’s ancient history
Guilin:Language and culture on the Li River
Shanghai:Introduction to China’s modern ascension
Faculty Leader:Dr. Nikolaus Butz
Trip duration:33 days of study and travel
- Explore Tian’anmen Square and the Forbidden City in Beijing
- Walk along The Great Wall of China
- Learn Chinese through daily Mandarin classes at CLI
- Engage in daily interaction with a variety of Chinese peers and local community members
- Cruise down the famed Li River to Yangshuo for a weekend in the ancient fishing village
- Hike up the Longsheng Terraces, which have been constructed over the course of 500 years
- Visit a Buddhist monastery built into the side of a karst mountain
- Hike Chuan Mountain and enjoy Guilin’s spectacular karst mountain scenery
- Visit the Shanghai Bund and experience the new Shanghai skyline, one of the most breathtaking cityscapes in the world
- Ascend the Shanghai World Financial Center, one of China’s tallest skyscrapers
- Experience Shanghai’s world-famous acrobatic show
Pre-Departure To-Do ListPlease complete each of the following steps in preparation for your China Seminar. As always, feel free to contact CLI anytime by phone at 888-781-8383 or by email at email@example.com.
- Complete CLI’s Student Information Form
Complete CLI’s Student Info Form by March 27, 2017. Be sure to enter information exactly as it appears on your passport. Your program is titled “UWSP China Seminar 2017”.
- Secure your passport
If you do not have a passport, please apply for one immediately. If you do have a passport, double check that its expiration date is at least six months after the end of your upcoming China Seminar. If your passport’s expiration date is within six months of your China Seminar end date, please renew your passport as soon as possible.
- Secure your passport and visa
Thoroughly review your Chinese Visa Application Guide and submit all required application items to Katie Perryman-Gebhardt in SSC 103 by March 27, 2017.
- Complete CLI’s allergies and dietary restrictions form
Complete our medical allergies and dietary restrictions form upon reading this prompt. It’s important that we have access to information regarding any medical allergies you may have or other medical considerations we should be aware of. Please also use this opportunity to inform us of your dietary restrictions (if any).
- Explore CLI’s list of online learning resources
A great selection of free Mandarin learning resources is available online. Please take time to review and familiarize yourself with the resources overviewed on CLI’s Online Learning Resources page.
- Review important travel informationMake sure you have thoroughly reviewed health and safety information from both the CDC and the U.S. State Department well in advance of your departure to China. The State Department highlights that “China remains a very safe country” for most travelers. That said, when traveling to any foreign country, it is important that you familiarize yourself with relevant health and safety information.