Virginia Tech in China
Program Start:Thursday, May 26, 2016 at 9:00 AM in Guilin*
Program End:Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 8:00 AM in Beijing
*Arrive in Guilin on May 25; airport pick-up and hotel night included on May 25
- Before Apr 14, 2016: submit CLI’s Student Information Form
- Before Apr 21: submit 500 USD deposit to CLI
- Before Apr 28: submit your int’l flight form to CLI
- Before Apr 28: secure your passport and visa
- Before May 19: submit remaining program balance to CLI
Primary Trip Segments
Guilin, China:Language & Culture on the Li River (4 weeks)
Shanghai and Beijing, China:Study Tour Component (1 week)
- During the Guilin portion of the China Seminar, students will advance their language skills through intensive small group Mandarin class, daily interaction with a range of Chinese peers and teachers, and constant immersion in the language learning environment.
- During the Shanghai and Beijing portions, students will be immersed in Chinese culture and history in the PRC’s economic and political capitals. Important economic and historical sites will be visited and students will discover the city in a variety of unique ways, including through company visits and dialogue with locals.
Pre-Departure To-Do ListPlease complete each of the following steps in preparation for your China Seminar. As always, feel free to contact CLI anytime at 888-781-8383 or email CLI’s Director of Enrollment at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete CLI’s Student Information Form
Complete CLI’s Student Info Form by Thursday, April 14, 2016. Be sure to enter information exactly as it appears on your passport. Your program is titled “Virginia Tech in China 2016”.
- Submit your program deposit to CLI
In order to secure your space in your summer 2016 China Seminar, please click the link below to submit your 500 USD non-refundable deposit by Thursday, April 21, 2016. Please note that in order to submit your deposit, you must first complete CLI’s Student Information Form (step 1 above). Please use our secure and convenient online payment system (secured by Stripe) to submit your program deposit.
- Secure your passport and visa
Thoroughly review our Chinese Visa Application Guide and submit all required application items to Oasis China Visa by Thursday, April 28, 2016.
- Purchase your international airfare and complete CLI’s Flight Form
You are responsible for purchasing your own international airfare. Included in your program tuition, CLI provides all students with airport pick-up and drop-off. In order for us to greet you at the Guilin airport on May 25, please complete CLI’s flight form no later than April 28, 2016. Plan to arrive in Guilin anytime on May 25 for our program start at 9:00 AM on May 26. Your first hotel night is included in program fees. You can plan to depart from Beijing anytime on June 30.
- Complete CLI’s Medical Allergies and Dietary Restrictions Form
Please complete our medical allergies and dietary restrictions form upon reading this prompt. It’s important that your travel logistics providers have access to information regarding any medical allergies you may have or other medical considerations of which we should be aware. Please also use this opportunity to inform us of your dietary restrictions (if any).
- Submit your remaining program balance
- Explore CLI’s list of online learning resources
A great selection of free Mandarin learning resources is available online. Please take time to review and familiarize yourself with the resources overviewed on CLI’s Online Learning Resources page.
- Review CLI’s Pre-Departure Packet
In an effort to better prepare you for your time abroad, CLI has put together this detailed pre-departure packet. Be sure to review all information carefully and contact CLI at email@example.com with any additional questions you may have.
- Review important travel informationMake sure you have thoroughly reviewed health and safety information from both the CDC and the U.S. State Department well in advance of your departure to China. The State Department highlights that “China remains a very safe country” for most travelers. That said, when traveling to any foreign country, it is important that you familiarize yourself with relevant health and safety information.
- Familiarize yourself with your itinerary
Please thoroughly review your China itinerary and, as always, feel free to contact CLI anytime.