Westminster in China
Program Start:Saturday, May 27, 2017
Program End:Wednesday, June 7, 2017
- Attend four daily hours of intensive Mandarin training at CLI
- Engage in daily interaction with a variety of Chinese peers and local community members
- Cruise down the famed Li River to Yangshuo for a day in the ancient fishing village
- Explore the Longsheng Terraces, which have been constructed over the course of 500 years
Program DescriptionThe Westminster 2017 China Seminar will be based in Guilin, China, a southern Chinese city famed for its pristine natural environment and storybook rivers and mountains:
- Throughout this experience, Westminster students will improve their Chinese language ability and deepen their understanding of China’s cultural heritage and modern ascension.
- Students will advance their language skills through 20 weekly hours of small group Chinese classes at CLI, daily interaction with a range of Chinese peers and teachers, and constant immersion in the ideal language learning environment.
- Focus will also be placed on introducing students to Chinese culture through the intimate lens of a small Chinese city.
Pre-Departure To-Do ListPlease complete each of the following steps in preparation for your China Seminar. As always, feel free to contact CLI anytime by phone at 888-781-8383 or by email at email@example.com.
- Complete CLI’s Student Information Form
Complete CLI’s Student Info Form by Thursday, March 2, 2017. Be sure to enter information exactly as it appears on your passport. Your program is titled “Westminster 2017”.
- Secure your passport and visa
Thoroughly review your Chinese Visa Application Guide and submit all required application items to your faculty leader by Thursday, March 16, 2017. All travelers are responsible for researching and complying with the appropriate visa requirements for the country/countries where their program is being held. Please note that Hong Kong and China require separate visas for some passport holders (not United States citizens).
- Complete CLI’s allergies and dietary restrictions form
Complete our medical allergies and dietary restrictions form upon reading this prompt. It’s important that we have access to information regarding any medical allergies you may have or other medical considerations we should be aware of. Please also use this opportunity to inform us of your dietary restrictions (if any).
- Explore CLI’s list of online learning resources
A great selection of free Mandarin learning resources is available online. Please take time to review and familiarize yourself with the resources overviewed on CLI’s Online Learning Resources page.
- Review CLI’s Pre-Departure Packet
In an effort to better prepare you for your time abroad, CLI has put together this detailed pre-departure packet. Be sure to review all information carefully and contact CLI at firstname.lastname@example.org with any additional questions you may have.
- Review important travel informationMake sure you have thoroughly reviewed health and safety information from both the CDC and the U.S. State Department well in advance of your departure to China. The State Department highlights that “China remains a very safe country” for most travelers. That said, when traveling to any foreign country, it is important that you familiarize yourself with relevant health and safety information.