Williams in China
Program Start:Wednesday, January 3, 2018
Program End:Friday, January 26, 2018
- Learn Chinese through daily 4-hour Mandarin classes at CLI
- Engage in daily interaction with a variety of Chinese peers and local community members
- Cruise down the famed Li River to Yangshuo for a weekend in the ancient fishing village
- Explore Daxu Village, which showcases a variety of Ming and Qing Dynasty architecture
- Hike up the Longsheng Terraces, which have been constructed over the course of 500 years
- Visit a Buddhist monastery built into the side of a karst mountain
- Hike Chuan Mountain and enjoy Guilin’s spectacular karst mountain scenery
- Visit the Shanghai Bund and experience the new Shanghai skyline, one of the most breathtaking cityscapes in the world
- Ascend the Shanghai World Financial Center, one of China’s tallest skyscrapers
- Experience Shanghai’s world-famous acrobatic show
Program DescriptionThe Williams Winter in Guilin Seminar will advance the students’ their skills through daily intensive Chinese classes at CLI, everyday interaction with a range of Chinese peers and teachers, and constant immersion in the ideal language learning environment. After 20 days in picturesque Guilin, the students will travel to Shanghai, where they will discover China’s economic might by witnessing firsthand the city’s breathtaking urban landscape. Throughout this experience, Williams College students will improve their Chinese language ability and deepen their understanding of China’s cultural heritage and modern ascension.
Faculty Leader:Dr. Cecilia Chang
Trip duration:24 days of study and travel
Primary Trip Segments
Guilin:Language and culture on the Li River
Shanghai:Introduction to China’s modern ascension and economic reemergence
Pre-Departure To-Do ListPlease complete each of the following steps in preparation for your China Seminar. As always, feel free to contact CLI anytime by phone at 888-781-8383 or by email at email@example.com.
- Complete CLI’s Student Information Form
Complete CLI’s Student Info Form by November 8, 2017. Be sure to enter information exactly as it appears on your passport. Your program is titled “Williams College 2018”.
- Secure your passport and visa
Thoroughly review your Chinese Visa Application Guide and submit all required application items to your faculty leader by December 6, 2017.
- Complete CLI’s allergies and dietary restrictions form
Complete our medical allergies and dietary restrictions form upon reading this prompt. It’s important that we have access to information regarding any medical allergies you may have or other medical considerations we should be aware of. Please also use this opportunity to inform us of your dietary restrictions (if any).
- Explore CLI’s list of online learning resources
A great selection of free Mandarin learning resources is available online. Please take time to review and familiarize yourself with the resources overviewed on CLI’s Online Learning Resources page.
- Review CLI’s Pre-Departure Packet
In an effort to better prepare you for your time abroad, CLI has put together this detailed pre-departure packet. Be sure to review all information carefully and contact CLI at firstname.lastname@example.org with any additional questions you may have.
- Review important travel informationMake sure you have thoroughly reviewed health and safety information from both the CDC and the U.S. State Department well in advance of your departure to China. The State Department highlights that “China remains a very safe country” for most travelers. That said, when traveling to any foreign country, it is important that you familiarize yourself with relevant health and safety information.