XMNR 2017 India IR
Start Time and City:November 7 at 6:00 PM in New Delhi (group flight departs Washington Dulles on November 6)
End Time and City:November 17 at 12:00 PM in Jodhpur
Primary Trip Segments
- Your XMNR faculty lead will provide this information around four months prior to the India program’s start date.
Faculty Leads:Dr. David Robertson, Dr. Michael Mortimer, Dr. Bruce Hull, and Dr. Holly Wise
Trip Duration:10 days and 10 nights
Your XMNR faculty lead will provide this information around three months prior to the India program’s start date.
- Before June 15, 2017: decide if you will fly with the group
- Before June 15, 2017: complete CLI’s Student Information Form
- Before October 5, 2017: submit required info to VT GEO
XMNR International Residency To-Do ListIMPORTANT: please read this entire page carefully. In preparation for your November 2017 XMNR International Residency in India, please complete each of the following steps at your earliest convenience. As CLI is an official CLiGS partner and helps manage enrollment and logistical needs for the XMNR International Residency, please feel free to contact CLI anytime at 888-781-8383 or email our Director of Enrollment at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions regarding the enrollment process.
- Decide if you will fly with the group or arrange your own airfare
Please carefully review this XMNR international airfare PDF and choose either Option 1 or 2. We encourage you to fly with the group, but if you would like to make your own airfare arrangements, you have the option to do so. This decision must be made by Thursday, June 15. Please then notify CLI of your decision by completing our Student Information Form (see below).
- Complete CLI’s Student Information Form
Complete CLI’s Student Information Form by Thursday, June 15. Your program is titled “XMNR IR in India, Nov 2017”. Be sure to enter information exactly as it appears on your passport. Please also be on the lookout for an email from the Virginia Tech Global Education Office requesting that you complete its required liability and financial agreement forms.
- If you chose Option 2 for your international flight, complete CLI’s Flight Form
If you choose “Option 2: fly on your own”, please share your international flight information with CLI by completing this international flight form at least one month prior to your programs’ start date. Option 1 travelers can skip this step.
- Secure your passport
If you do not have a passport, please apply for one immediately. If you do have a passport, double check that its expiration date is at least six months after the end of your upcoming XMNR IR. If your passport’s expiration date is within six months of your IR end date, please renew your passport as soon as possible.
- Secure your visa
Passport holders from most countries, including the United States, are required to obtain a visa to enter India. Please submit your Tourist E-visa application to a visa service at least six weeks prior to your XMNR International Residency commencement date. The Indian Immigration Department will only accept your visa application on or after October 6th. Though you can apply early and the visa processing service should hold your application. The visa service we recommend using is VisaHQ , but you may use any service you like. VisaHQ will hold your application and submit it October 6th. You are responsible for covering all costs associated with your India tourist e-visa, including both the actual visa fee and all related processing fees. When completing your India visa form, you will be asked to provide a local point of contact in India as well as a point of contact in the United States for while you are traveling. Please use the contact information listed in this document.
- Complete CLiGS and CLI’s Medical Allergies and Dietary Restrictions Form
Please complete our medical allergies and dietary restrictions form upon reading this prompt. It’s important that your travel logistics providers have access to information regarding any medical allergies you may have or other medical considerations of which we should be aware. Please also use this opportunity to inform us of your dietary restrictions (if any).
- Review CLI and CLiGS Pre-Departure Reminders
In an effort to better prepare you for your time abroad, CLI and CLiGS put together this detailed pre-departure packet. Be sure to review all information carefully and contact CLI at email@example.com with any additional questions you may have.
- Remain on the lookout for Virginia Tech’s Global Education Office (GEO) email
Virginia Tech’s Global Education Office (GEO) will email you at some point prior to your program commencement to request important information required by the university. Please remain on the lookout for this email and work through VT GEO’s requirements in a timely manner.
- Understand your VT-provided medical and travel insurance
Please carefully review this Virginia Tech Insurance PDF. CLiGS will purchase a travelers’ health insurance policy on your behalf from Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI). You will receive an email from CISI with your personal policy information. Be sure to save the information, print out a copy to bring with you on the IFE, and print out another copy to leave with your emergency contact prior to departure. CISI also offers a mobile app that may come in handy during your travels.
- Review important travel information
- Install GroupMe on your smartphonePlease install GroupMe upon reading this prompt. Please also work with your classmates to self-organize a GroupMe group that includes each member of your cohort in preparation for your time in India. This will simplify and improve group communication during our travels. Installing this smartphone application is optional but highly recommended.
- Review optional activities for your free days in IndiaLimited free time is available during the program. The concierge at your hotel in India and our in-country coordinator can provide activity planning assistance as needed. You might also wish to utilize a range of other resources (e.g., Lonely Planet, TripAdvisor, general Google searches, etc.) to find and arrange activities.